Alternate Ability System

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Alternate Ability System

Postby Black Wyvern » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:12 pm

A few months back, as I was getting ready to start a new campaign, I got sick of my players complaining about their abilities so I started working on these rules as an alternate ability system to rolling dice. They absolutely hated the idea. So I tabled it. Recently I have seen a few online games, including one of mine, starting up and the same old discussion begging and pleading started. I brought these out and took another look at them. The old schooler in me really has mixed feelings but I thought maybe I would garner some thoughts from this community.

Thanks for any thoughts you share.
BW
Last edited by Black Wyvern on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Re: Alternate Ability System

Postby Black Wyvern » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:58 pm

x
Last edited by Black Wyvern on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Irda Ranger » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:52 pm

I don't understand what your starting base is. Two "average" descriptors (+0), or two "ability" descriptors (+1).

How did the Elf get his "Very Intelligent"? By downgrading his Strong from +1 to +0? If that's the case, why does the Dwarf have "Repellent"?
Irda Ranger

Postby Black Wyvern » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:29 am

I think I am going to rework my language a bit. The descriptors are equal to the different modifiers of the abilities. I think I will replace the ability modifier table with one that compares it to the existing table. Basically an average score is free. The elf wasn't meant to be an entire description of the character like the dwarf was, it was an example of how the xp bonuses work.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Irda Ranger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Ok.

Although you're backing into it, I think you're just arriving at the same conclusion as d20's standard array/point-buy system; but one that has adjectives attached to the stat tables. Since players will be more familiar with that, I think you'll have better player acceptance if you introduce it as "Start with these numbers, adjust in this way, and then write down both the numbers and these adjectives on your character sheet."
Irda Ranger

Postby Black Wyvern » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:05 pm

We tried the point buy system but the players hated it as well, the idea of spending points that didn't get them modifiers was the big complaint, especially through the 13-15 range. This system is derived from it but just takes the modifier steps into account instead of every point of ability. I used descriptors instead of other labels (I kicked around the idea of letters i.e. A=18, B=16-17, C=13-15 D=9-12, F=6-8, G=4-5, H=3) but thought the descriptors would be simpler. "What the hell does D mean again?" Maybe I just need to admit that any system using point buy and allocation is going to have essentially the same flaws, which are different from the flaws of rolling the dice. From now on everybody gets straight 10s lets just play!

I updated the alternate ability rules at the top of the thread. Added the concept of a descriptor pool (point buy) and used the existing abilities to tie in/clarify. This game will be the exact opposite of tv and movies where everyone is beautiful. Everyone is gonna be extremely repellent!
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Irda Ranger » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Black Wyvern wrote:Maybe I just need to admit that any system using point buy and allocation is going to have essentially the same flaws, which are different from the flaws of rolling the dice.

Yup. It's all about the trade-offs, and honestly communicating the choices you've made to your players.

I'll share something with you. There's a way to split the difference between the randomness of dice and the "fairness" of point-buy systems. Use playing cards. I'll explain the exact system in the next paragraph, but the point of using playing cards I'll explain here. By generating a character with a stack of cards everyone at the table has the same "total point value" at the beginning. Two 9s, two 8s, etc. It's fair. No one ends up with four 18s while his buddy has four 5s. But the shuffling and dealing of the cards creates a randomness element too, and you have to make due with the cards you're dealt. It's a pretty nice system actually.

So here's how it works. Start with a stack of cards. The exact number of cards and the cards you choose depends on how generous a stat-rolling system you want. You then deal the cards in order to your stats, in either pairs or triplets. Sum up the numbers for your stat. If you're feeling generous, allow one "swap" of any two stats.

Example combinations of cards are-
Method I. 12 cards; two each of 9 through 3. (Deal a pair to each stat) Produces stats between 6 and 18.
Method II. 12 cards; three each of 9 through 6 (Deal a pair to each stat) Produces stats between 12 and 18.
Method III. 18 cards; three each of 6 through Ace (1). (Deal three to each stat) Produces stats between 3 and 18.
Method IV. 18 cards; four each of 6 through 3, and two deuces. (Deal three to each stat) Produces stats between 7 and 18.

So long as you don't include 10s or face cards there's no way to deal yourself a stat outside of the range generated by 3d6. I use Method I, when I use this system.
Irda Ranger

Return to Labyrinth Lord