Rules changes to suit your world...

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Rules changes to suit your world...

Postby monk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:29 am

Austro, I'm using quite a few of the same rules mods as you are (eg, shields will be splintered, Holmes scroll rules, a boon system for fighters, etc). I'd be interested in hearing about how you handle the sci-fantasy elements. I've had a mad-scientist and the introduction of some aliens and their laser technology, but I've been able to get away with not explaining much so far. Mostly because nobody has played a Scholar PC and followed the Arcanotechnologist route yet.
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:45 am

Austrodavicus- Id like to se your version of the Archer! :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:47 am

monk wrote:Mostly because nobody has played a Scholar PC and followed the Arcanotechnologist route yet.
I will! ;)

Ya, the archer sounds really cool.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:00 am

Im working on a version of the Monk with different rules- more a monastic version of the Fighter. More HP, less silly powers. (Speak with plants?!!)
Blood axe

Postby monk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:28 am

Blood axe wrote:Im working on a version of the Monk with different rules- more a monastic version of the Fighter. More HP, less silly powers. (Speak with plants?!!)

Eastern style monk, or western? Or maybe neither? I always have a hard time conceiving an image of monks because the setting seems to suggest western style but the powers totally sound like shaolin.
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:32 am

Blood axe wrote:Im working on a version of the Monk with different rules- more a monastic version of the Fighter. More HP, less silly powers. (Speak with plants?!!)

Ya, I thought speaking w/plants outside of a spell was kinda... out there, and for a monk? I realize they're "enlightened" which would (in some philosophical circles) put them in tune w/nature, but having a conversation about annual rainfall and soil content - c'mon.

Fein Death, Quivering Palm, etc. that makes sense. I'm interested in hearing your take on Monks - and anyone else's.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:34 am

monk wrote:

Eastern style monk, or western? Or maybe neither? I always have a hard time conceiving an image of monks because the setting seems to suggest western style but the powers totally sound like shaolin.

Go to the play-by-post section and click on Horror Hill, and take a look at the character's section. I created a monk for that game, but there were too many melee so I made a Magic-User. My monk was created straight out of the Shaolin, probably for my years of studying Kung Fu, and getting my Bachelor's in Chinese LOL.

connivingsumo

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:50 am

monk wrote:

Yeah, Monks seem Far East to me. But there was an AD&D Oriental Adventures. Monks should be rare.

I like the Castles & Crusades version of the Monk. He has more attacks (a primary & secondary) but less damage at high levels. More hit points (d12!!) to compensate for no armor and a Monks ability of mind over matter to ignore pain.
A Druid doesnt even get the innate ability to speak with plants, buta Monk does!! Huh?!!

(ok Im gonna start a new thread- I dont wanna threadjack! Post there!)
Blood axe

Postby austrodavicus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:46 am

monk wrote:Austro, I'm using quite a few of the same rules mods as you are (eg, shields will be splintered, Holmes scroll rules, a boon system for fighters, etc). I'd be interested in hearing about how you handle the sci-fantasy elements. I've had a mad-scientist and the introduction of some aliens and their laser technology, but I've been able to get away with not explaining much so far. Mostly because nobody has played a Scholar PC and followed the Arcanotechnologist route yet.

Monk - I haven't had to handle it yet. We're playing a Fomalhaut campaign, so sci-fantasy is part of the history of the place, but we've only just begun and the players are still 1st and 2nd level, on their second adventure. They've yet to come across any science elements. I thought the fact that the common tongue is called "Terran" would be a giveaway, but none of them has picked up the hint. This will be the first time we've played such a game, so I'm interested to see how my players react when it starts happening.
austrodavicus

Postby Black Wyvern » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Here are the house rules I use or am planning on using for my next LL game.

Max hp at first lvl (pretty typical I think)
My next game will use a half hit die (+4 hp) hp bonus at first level (an idea I stole from the GMs of Ravenwood over at MW)
Have seriously considered giving thieves d6 hit die. (I am a little hesitant about this one. I am only running play by post games right now and any changes you make are fairly permanent.)
Custom weapon and armor tables.

That is really about it. I am pretty by the book.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord