Humanoid Help!!!!

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Humanoid Help!!!!

Postby Blood axe » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:23 pm

Please check my humanoid classes in the Open Workshop. These are for LL,, not AEC. So I want to keep them simple. They are modeled after the rules from Orcs of Thar.

Some levels have no increase in HD as a sort of balancing factor, but XP is a lot less.
Or would you rather have HD at each level, but increased XP?

Stronger creatures with more HD(Ogre, Bugbear,etc) start out at "negative levels", as weaker youngsters. When they reach Level 1 they become adults with full HD.
Do you like the negative levels/youngsters, or would you just like to start as Level 1?

There would have to be increased XP to balance an Ogre HD4+1 with a level 1 Fighter HD1.

Put in your ideas. I need your help.

Thanks!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Humanoid Help!!!!

Postby bighara » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Not to overly shill, but you might also want to check out Shadow of Mount Rotten :)
bighara

Postby Vile » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:29 pm

It's not that much trouble downgrading high HD monsters to 1st level, I believe Holmes did it by simply reducing damage (an hit points, to-hit rolls and saving throws, of course). Personally, though, I think I would prefer not to mess about with negative levels too much unless someone was really desperate to play a 1st level ogre or something. You could just say that such characters have to start in higher level campaigns with characters of equivalent level.

The BLUEHOLME™ Project
Vile

Postby Blood axe » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:35 pm

bighara wrote:Not to overly shill, but you might also want to check out Shadow of Mount Rotten :)

I do have it!! :D
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Vile wrote:It's not that much trouble downgrading high HD monsters to 1st level, I believe Holmes did it by simply reducing damage (an hit points, to-hit rolls and saving throws, of course). Personally, though, I think I would prefer not to mess about with negative levels too much unless someone was really desperate to play a 1st level ogre or something. You could just say that such characters have to start in higher level campaigns with characters of equivalent level.

I want some one who desires it, to be able to.play an Ogre in a Level 1 game , and have it semi balanced.
Im open to all idras & suggestions.
Let me know your thoughts on things.
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:04 am

I don't think a humanoid should be able to advance higher than an Elf, Dwarf, Halfling. To me, they should be limited by culture, intelligence, etc. They are used to life in a tribe, not as individuals. Just my opinion.
I can see "half breeds" advancing higher though.
I don't see a Hobgoblin becoming a better fighter than a Dwarf.

----------------

In my opinion , balancing factors for Demi-human classes (Elf, Dwarf, Halfling) are higher XP costs, and level limits. In the dwarf & Halflings case- they also cant use certain weapons. (2-handed, longbows,etc)

For humanoids, I don't see charging them more XP. So Im going with Level limits, ability limits (not as Intelligent, lower Charisma,etc),& social difficulties in game.

---------------------------

To keep it simple, do you think I should increase XP costs to be on par with the Dwarf/Halfling? It could be justified as a limitation. Also, it seems to me it would make sense that it is more difficult for a humanoid to advance.

Possibly use the Dwarf chart as a base for an Orc and modify it up/down for the different Humanoids. Down for a Goblin (with d6 Hp), up for Gnoll (possibly 2hd at level 1). I like the Kobold to fight/save as a Thief. It seems more like a sneak than a fighter
Blood axe

Postby Black Wyvern » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:14 pm

I think humanoids should advance at around dwarf speed. Most have infravision, they may not have all the dwarf abilities but dwarves and fighters should be better, easier. Most classes people make for add ins are hyper classes, which I don't like. I like your simple approach. Players want to play humanoids for the challenge, to do something different. We are old schoolers that can be done with role playing. There is no reason that they be suped up or even on par.

Reaction as an actual game mechanic could be looked at. They are monsters. They are scary. It would be interesting to see some mechanical effect to that. Both positive and negative. But again that is gravy.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Blood axe » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Im kicking around a few ideas right now. All the comments & suggestions help. Thanks! :)

Im also thinking of having starting gold for equipment cut in half. Most equipment wont be in great shape. Its either looted, cast-off, stolen, etc. No real game effect.

Reaction Ive been thinking about too. Ive had the Charisma limited to 12 , but that's in regard to dealing with humans & demi-humans. I can se Charisma score be bumped up by +4 or so dealing with their own species or other humanoids.
Blood axe

Postby petespahn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:29 am

Blood axe wrote:Reaction Ive been thinking about too. Ive had the Charisma limited to 12 , but that's in regard to dealing with humans & demi-humans. I can se Charisma score be bumped up by +4 or so dealing with their own species or other humanoids.

But then again, maybe not. Humanoids have always seemed very tribal, so basically anyone outside of one's own tribe shouldn't get an automatic modifier. I'm thinking of African and Native American tribes for the most part, who were notorious for disdain and/or hatred of other tribes.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Blood axe » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:02 am

petespahn wrote:
Blood axe wrote:Reaction Ive been thinking about too. Ive had the Charisma limited to 12 , but that's in regard to dealing with humans & demi-humans. I can se Charisma score be bumped up by +4 or so dealing with their own species or other humanoids.

But then again, maybe not. Humanoids have always seemed very tribal, so basically anyone outside of one's own tribe shouldn't get an automatic modifier. I'm thinking of African and Native American tribes for the most part, who were notorious for disdain and/or hatred of other tribes.

Im open to suggestions.

Maybe a modifier for "rival tribe" ?
Blood axe

Return to Labyrinth Lord