Maybe none of my ideas are good enough.

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Maybe none of my ideas are good enough.

Postby Agrippa » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:29 am

I've already posted this elsewhere, so here it goes. I'm assuming that most people here have noticed my adventure academy project threads. I haven't had very much luck with brainstorming on it, maybe that's for the best anyway. Is it just me, or is every idea I come up with or every project I try, world-building and drawing, just a complete waste of time? I start a project just full of hope, enthusiasm and brimming with confidence, then I get stuck and I don't know where to go, or the computer crashes and I lose every thing I'm working on all because I forget to back it up. Maybe it's just that nothing I do can be any good and that wasting everyone's time even trying anymore. What's wrong with me?
Agrippa

Re: Maybe none of my ideas are good enough.

Postby seneschal » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:43 pm

Don't be discouraged. It's hard sometimes to put your vision on paper. It helps when you get good feedback from friends and associates.

One thing that might help is to limit the scope of your project. I've noticed that you plan descriptions of everyone from the school janitor to the governor of the province. Too much information, at least at the start. I'd focus first on the teachers, fellow students, and non-academic personnel that the player characters are most likely to encounter in a couple (two) of their classes. Once you've got the soap opera bubbling with those NPCs, then gradually expand the detail of your world. You don't need to decide in advance what the school's specific course offerings are or who teaches all the classes or what the academy's history is.

For example, if the heroes haven't yet sent to the office for some project or infraction, the principal or headmaster can remain only a name plus maybe a reputation. You don't have to have any stats or have decided on a personality. Or maybe he remains a mystery man while the adventurers try to deal with his annoying secretary and gatekeeper. If the PCs aren't currently taking Dungeon Environmentalism 201, the whole science program can remain terra incognita.

Try to come up with some fun NPCs for those one or two classes. Professors with goofy personalities or personal agendas that are sure to cause trouble for the player-characters. The class bully or clown or jock who won't leave them alone. The cute girl they long after, or who pursues one or more of them relentlessly. The friend or lab partner who always needs their help (and attempting help always leads to shenanigans).
seneschal

Postby greyarea » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Agrippa wrote:I've already posted this elsewhere, so here it goes. I'm assuming that most people here have noticed my adventure academy project threads. I haven't had very much luck with brainstorming on it, maybe that's for the best anyway. Is it just me, or is every idea I come up with or every project I try, world-building and drawing, just a complete waste of time? I start a project just full of hope, enthusiasm and brimming with confidence, then I get stuck and I don't know where to go, or the computer crashes and I lose every thing I'm working on all because I forget to back it up. Maybe it's just that nothing I do can be any good and that wasting everyone's time even trying anymore. What's wrong with me?

Others aren't always as interested in what you are interested in. I've run into this myself, where I've suggested ideas and gotten no feedback. It just wasn't of interest to others (or the way I put it out there didn't raise their interest) and that's just fine. Perhaps it will become of interest to others, and perhaps it will be an endeavour that you are yourself interested in and that should be ok. I've met some on this forum who are only interested in running with things that others create, not interested in creating things themselves, and that's cool: we all have our own interests.
greyarea

Postby merias » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:49 pm

greyarea wrote:
Agrippa wrote:I've already posted this elsewhere, so here it goes. I'm assuming that most people here have noticed my adventure academy project threads. I haven't had very much luck with brainstorming on it, maybe that's for the best anyway. Is it just me, or is every idea I come up with or every project I try, world-building and drawing, just a complete waste of time? I start a project just full of hope, enthusiasm and brimming with confidence, then I get stuck and I don't know where to go, or the computer crashes and I lose every thing I'm working on all because I forget to back it up. Maybe it's just that nothing I do can be any good and that wasting everyone's time even trying anymore. What's wrong with me?

Others aren't always as interested in what you are interested in. I've run into this myself, where I've suggested ideas and gotten no feedback. It just wasn't of interest to others (or the way I put it out there didn't raise their interest) and that's just fine. Perhaps it will become of interest to others, and perhaps it will be an endeavour that you are yourself interested in and that should be ok. I've met some on this forum who are only interested in running with things that others create, not interested in creating things themselves, and that's cool: we all have our own interests.

What Greyarea said. I also have waxing/waning creative bursts where I'll start things and not finish them, or post stuff that no one finds interesting. In the end I try to just have fun with this hobby and create to scratch my own itch - if others can make use of or provide feedback on things I create, I see that as a nice bonus. So keep at it!
merias

Postby Blood axe » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Maybe its me, but Ive found the forum kind of slow lately. Possibly due to 5E ?
Don't let it get you down. Ive put up two messages for PBP games, with no real replies. So I went to Unseen Servant.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:52 am

merias wrote:
greyarea wrote:

What Greyarea said. I also have waxing/waning creative bursts where I'll start things and not finish them, or post stuff that no one finds interesting. In the end I try to just have fun with this hobby and create to scratch my own itch - if others can make use of or provide feedback on things I create, I see that as a nice bonus. So keep at it!

I'll keep that in mind merias. Thank you both.
Agrippa

Postby Apercu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:50 am

It's best to just jump in there and throw every idea out there. Just go for it. Every idea may not be a winner, but do not edit yourself yet. Do that later. Don't stop to second guess yourself. When you let it flow, you'll be surprised how many good ideas you had. If you second guess everything, you'll never get started. Also, save everything on flash drive so you have it.
Dungeon Squad!!! http://hotdc.blogspot.com/2007/10/dungeon-squad-version-15.html
Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl Basic Charts Edition http://hotdc.blogspot.com/2007/09/you-can-not-get-hotdc-basic-charts-at.html
Apercu

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Sometimes I think the best thing to do is get out there and play. Try your ideas out on the group, build your world through play. If you try to do too much without that creative outlet and testing ground I think you can get overwhelmed. Building a world is a big project, and IMHO best done in actual play, bit by bit.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Agrippa » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:56 am

I'm going to keep going with my world-building project. As for races the setting will include human, wolfmen, ronso and demons, whether Disgaeaesque (replacing elves) and Exalted-style. Demons like Horrors, wraiths and specters (also undead) and a few things that could be described as The Heartless by TV Tropes might exist as demons in the setting too, just not as PC allowable ones. Corrupted/exiled gods and servitor spirits could also count as demons, at least until purified or reinstated.
Agrippa

Postby LARS » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:24 am

What ever happened with this???

Lars
LARS

Next

Return to Open Discussion