Hoard / Treasure Utility

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Hoard / Treasure Utility

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:20 am

I partially added Dan's suggestion of allowing N rolls of a particular hoard type. You can now generate from 1-100 results for the same treasure type entry. Additionally, I tweaked the gem & jewel output based on djeryv's suggestions to include total value, gem types, and jewelry type. The latter two are a mixture from the 1st and 2nd DMG's tweaked to fit the LL values.

As for exporting the data, there are a couple of possibilities. Text output would be pretty easy to do. Instead of calling the ajax foo, I could just call another script that dumps raw text. Downside is that I didn't think of that to begin with so I'll have to rework a fair number of output elements to strip the html hard-coding I put in place. Alternatively, I could do a different variant to just allow randomized treasure booklets in PDF format. The booklet would basically be a 22 section PDF with a list of of N treasure types per category. Cross them off as you use them, then regenerate another booklet when you need one. The PDF creation interfaces look reasonably easy to do but I've never tried it.

I'm leaning toward the PDF idea. If it works, its printable in a much better fashion than raw text. Text output, on the other hand, is much easier to copy/paste quickly but the current generator allows that already.

Thoughts?
Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:29 pm

I need to check with a therapist to see if I'm completely insane but doing on-the-fly Books of Treasure seemed like a really cool project. Turns out its quite possible and doable. My poor old server probably isn't as enthusiastic since the PDF creation is very computationally expensive for larger books. Be kind if you want to power-test by using a low count per Hoard Class.

Should you need an offline supplement for treasure lookup, I present Treasure Book on Demand. If you just need a bunch of one type, the original Treasure Generator is the best choice.

Edit: Swapped the links to a new host.
Last edited by Mark on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Postby Mr.Joel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:19 pm

An excellent project! Kudos.
====
Mr. Joel
Faster Monkey Games
http://fastermonkeygames.com
Mr.Joel

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:35 pm

Mr.Joel wrote:An excellent project! Kudos.

Thanks Mr. Joel. I need to get back to fixing some of the layout issues and see if I can reduce the page count with multiple columns for some hoard classes.

I also updated all the links to point to a new, more accessible host. The original links still work but it'll just be used as my development platform like it was intended originally.

I also added a random Spell Scroll generator. It's not tied into the main treasure generation system. I decided a stand alone utility for spell scrolls would be easier to start before I folded it into the main generator. Feel free to beat on it as well.
Mark

Postby Black Wyvern » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Okay I have been out of the loop for a bit. All I can say is WOW! This is incredible!!!! Thanks for the tool.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:10 am

Black Wyvern wrote:Okay I have been out of the loop for a bit. All I can say is WOW! This is incredible!!!! Thanks for the tool.

Many thanks. Tonight I added the Spell Book / Known Spells generation system. Baseline is the number of spells per level a particular class has access has. Then there's a bit of flux in that lower levels can have more spells generated than they could have memorize/utilize.

Getting it functional drained me so I'll have to get back to you on defining the "flux" per level. It's minimal.
Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:38 am

OOPS! Hoard classes VIII and IX were reversed. Anything generated before now has the flaw including treasure books and general treasure results. :oops:
Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:07 am

Goblinoid Games wrote:I've always wanted to be able to randomly generate a list like this, say up to 100 instances so I could have sheets of pregenerated treasure for each type. Then maybe roll a d00 or a d20 for a shorter list to select pregenerated treasure. Same for treasure in a dungeon that is unprotected. Would there be any way to set this up to select how many instances you want to generate it, and export it to a text file? Maybe have each instance numbered too for rolling to randomly select one?

I added text and simple HTML outputs to the Treasure Book on Demand a few days ago. I also just tweaked the selectable count field to better align with dice rolling: 10, 20, 50 and 100. All outputs are numbered so it should meet the original request.

Unprotected treasure I haven't dealt with yet. I'll put it on the to-do list to generate along with the other Hoard classes. Although no one has asked for it yet, I think an option to turn off the "extended" gem and jewelry types information may be useful.

I also added daily pre-generated PDF's, updated nightly, to avoid the slower than mud PDF conversion. A few more tweaks and I think the generator will be useful to the majority of people. If you want to get my attention quickly, you can leave feedback here in addition to this thread.
Mark

Postby Black Wyvern » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Hey Mark,

I have been playing around with your treasure generator. It is quite awesome. But I have noticed there is never magic armor. some of the hoards have ,, double commas and are short a magic item. I assume armor is supposed to be in the spot. Everything else is incredible.

BW
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Black Wyvern wrote:Hey Mark,

I have been playing around with your treasure generator. It is quite awesome. But I have noticed there is never magic armor. some of the hoards have ,, double commas and are short a magic item. I assume armor is supposed to be in the spot. Everything else is incredible.

BW

I thought I'd fixed the double comma issue. Its an artifact of the generation process where some magic types are excluded. I'll look into the armor issue. Thanks for letting me know.
Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord