Through the Never

greyarea's Labyrinth Lord game

Moderator: greyarea

Through the Never

Postby greyarea » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:15 pm

The party lands in a space between. You are on a piece of land, floating in a sea of space. In the background there is a movement filling the sky, if indeed that is sky. Crashing waves of color, like surf and tide, beat huge cliffs of order. The cliffs grow in places, constructing in geometric patterns the order of existence, while the hammering surf of chaos erodes other spots, extending its disorder and entropy into all. With each crash against the barrancas of Law, the relentless crush of the erosion shows the victory of Chaos over Order. With each growing embankment, the rule of Law triumphs over Chaos. Your Weapons of Power seem to pulse and hum with the battle above it, as it they wish to partake.

This scene fills the space, and yet you seem between it all, in a place of calm between the storm of conflict. There is no wind, no movement. In the nearer distance you see dots moving, some absorbing others. One of the specks comes close, looking like some beast swimming in the foam between dimensions.

Dieter speaks, Limbobear, from a place deep within himself, almost unconsciously. You all then notice that the specks among which it swims are asteroids the size of what you stand on. One of these limbobears can swallow you whole without noticing.

Unsettling doesn't begin to describe it.

You look around to the place where you stand. The plain extends for a while and, in the distance, a pyramid stands. Behind it, the clockwork turnings of Law struggle against the relentless grind of Chaos.

A figure approaches. He seems miles away until he is close enough to talk to. He is tall, humanoid, with white hair, piercing eyes, and an odd form of dress. He is clad in all white, which seems almost to reflect the colors of the shifting space surrounding you. He doesn't seem to notice you even as he is about to walk amongst you.

Actions?

Hit points and marching order
Grimes 46/46
--Furuk 51/51
Dieter 27/27 <sleep, continual light, fireball >
--Dandy 33/33 < Bless, Hold Person, Delay Poison, Augury, Silence 15'r, Glyph of Warding, Cure Disease, Dispel Magic >
Castinus 34/34
--Shaelyyndenel 21/21 <Burning Hands, Charm Person, Continual Light, Stinking Cloud>
greyarea

Re: Through the Never

Postby badams30 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes steps slightly aside with Wave at the ready, raises an eyebrow at the sight of the man and glances at Dieter and the others with a quizzical look. He taps Wave on the ground and says "Hello there. Odd weather we're having, eh?"

OOC: Grimes isn't much of an intellectual or conversationalist. He's a professional ass-kicker and pint-sized ladies man...
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:44 am

Dieter - Mage

Looks like quite a battle going on... is there a clear winner starting to take shape? He will say to the stranger in their midst.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby merias » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:45 am

Dandy, Dwarf Cleric

Dandy stares at the spectacle before him, a puzzled look on his face. He is not sure what is going on, but he hefts Whelm and waits for the man to speak.
merias

Postby tumblingdice » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Castinus--whose distracted attention has shifted between counting coppers and keeping vigil over something that's supposed to happen--snaps out of his musings and looks around in wonder at his surroundings.

"What is this place?" he asks, reaching instinctively for the hilt of his sword as the stranger approaches.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby greyarea » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Dieter looks but cannot ascertain a clear winner. Where ever order loses, entropy wins, but order is ever rebuilding. When ever a Gear of the Worlds is jammed, the Machinery of Fate's cogs are clogged, another runs smoothly, more cogs are freed. The battle seems never-ending. Staring too long gives the wizard a headache, as if his brain cannot take in the happenings of the world.

The figure approaching stops at Grimes query. He looks at you all as if just noticing you for the first time. Whether weather is odd is not what's interesting. It's whether weather exists at all.

He turns to Castinus and replies, This is the port in the storm. The place between, balanced and fair. This is Limbo. How is it that you are here? This is no place for mortals.

Actions?

Grimes 46/46
--Furuk 51/51
--Dandy 33/33 < Bless, Hold Person, Delay Poison, Augury, Silence 15'r, Glyph of Warding, Cure Disease, Dispel Magic >
Castinus 34/34
--Shaelyyndenel 21/21 <Burning Hands, Charm Person, Continual Light, Stinking Cloud>
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:56 pm

Grimes - FIghter

Grimes smiles and says "Ah. I see." And with his curiosity getting the better of him he says "I'm Grimes, Warrior of Poseidon. Who are you, and what do you do around here, mister? If ya don't mind my askin' "
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Dieter - Mage

We are here to try and restore the order of law....
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:55 pm

The person looks at Deiter and laughs out loud. It takes him a bit to regain his composure. He is trying to stifle a laugh when he glances at Dieter again and begins laughing nearly uncontrollably.

A second version of him appears standing in the same place, even as the first version laughs. It is like ghosts occupying a single location, not translucent but not entirely whole.

The second one, composed, says, Please excuse me. The concept of restoring law here is absurd in the most profound sense. Apparently I found that hilarious. The first version of him continues to laugh, falling on the ground and in tears. Neither Law nor Chaos can be restored here: they were never here to begin with. This is the place Between. A Limbo between Order and Entropy. A place neutral between the two as they clash for command of reality.

The first version of himself begins to come under control, and, as he does so, begins to fade. The second version turns to Grimes, I am Iskeelka. I do the will of the one who sent me, nothing more, nothing less. This place Between the clash of Law and Chaos is my home and I tend it. Occasionally I must help keep its existence neutral by removing those things that come here that seek to bring Law or Chaos and make this their home. Think of me as a gardener, weeding. No, as a musician, finding the perfect harmony, and removing discordant notes. No, perhaps as a baker, kneading the dough of Creation to help it rise.

I do not know if that helps you understand.

Finally, the laughing version fades away, and only the one speaking is left.

Actions?

Grimes 46/46
--Furuk 51/51
Castinus 34/34
greyarea

Postby greyarea » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Iskeelka looks at each of your faces. How did you come to get here?
greyarea

Next

Return to Skull Mountain