General Talk (OOC)

Sniderman's Cryptworld game

Moderator: sniderman

General Talk (OOC)

Postby sniderman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Hey folks, we'll use this thread for any out-of-character conversation and queries. If you have questions or comments outside of the gameplay in the primary threads, use this thread, and I'll field any questions you may have.

Recapping: You are all members of "Societas Malleus et Sudis" AKA "The Society of Hammer and Stake," a secret underground organization tasked with investigating and eradicating supernatural threats to humanity. Each member at one time was saved from certain doom at the hands of the weird and otherworldly by The Society. The price of your salvation was to become secret members as well. When contacted, you are expected to come where needed, bringing your knowledge, your experience, and your bravery to thwart these arcane, evil forces.

We have five players in our game:

1. Jim is "Jack," a newspaper reporter who has seen enough in his years of journalistic investigation to know the supernatural exists and is a threat to humanity.
    2. Doug is "Magnus," a Canadian private investigator who takes the cases no one else will since he has first-hand experience with the paranormal.
    3. Nathan is "Lucas," a freelance author who put himself through journalism school on a wrestling scholarship. His brush with the supernatural brought him to the attention of The Society.
    4. Paul is "Hal," a professor in parapsychological lore. He's one of the few who sought out The Society for membership rather than the other way around!
    5. Scott is "David" (AKA "Web"), an insurance investigator (with a criminal justice background) who has first-hand experience in fighting and defeating demonic forces.

I have only given the basics of your names and respective backgrounds. I thought you could reveal more yourselves during the course of play. ;)

Finally, one note regarding play: I'll be doing all dice rolls (to save us time), but I shall post all results as well as Action Table breakdowns as we go, so you can follow along with how the Pacesetter system works. Just post what you say and what you do, and I'll take care of all of the number-crunching. ;) Hopefully you've reviewed the Timemaster game I ran to see how the game will progress and how the rolls/actions will be broken down and presented during the game.

Get your holy water and silver bullets ready. Here we go...
sniderman

Re: General Talk (OOC)

Postby segeorge » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:42 am

Hi everyone,

I’m Scott, playing Webb.

Tim, quick question: Do any of our PCs have local contacts in either the media or law enforcement?

Also, in fleshing out my character, I gave him a bit of an Oregon bio, suggesting he would have studied the original Paul Bunyon case in college. This was mostly to give him a plausible reason to be curious about the new murders -- which was before the Society’s “summons” (I didn’t quite know how the Society operated). So, that can be dropped from his bio (or it could be a useful way to pass on some pertinent info, especially if our PCs don’t have any local contacts).

Thanks,
Scott
segeorge

Postby sniderman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:55 pm

segeorge wrote:Tim, quick question: Do any of our PCs have local contacts in either the media or law enforcement?

I would say probably not, at least not in the "local" sense. Those of you from Oregon might have a connection, but that will be determined on an "if-it-comes-up" basis. After all, I don't want you to just call up an old friend and have info spoon-fed to ya! 8-)

Also, in fleshing out my character, I gave him a bit of an Oregon bio, suggesting he would have studied the original Paul Bunyon case in college. This was mostly to give him a plausible reason to be curious about the new murders

Hmmm... I may give you a bit of extra insight into the original case being from the area. But this particular case is one of many you may have studied in school, so the details may be "fuzzy" to you unless some extra research is done.

(I didn’t quite know how the Society operates).

No one does. :twisted:

Anyway, I want everyone to keep in mind that "Forget-Me-Not" was written to run over a 4-hour convention gaming window, so a lot of background "nuance" really doesn't come into play. So don't read too much into personal backgrounds, connections, family histories, etc. as that really isn't truly pertinent to the gameplay at hand.
sniderman

Postby segeorge » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks -- sounds good.

segeorge wrote:I didn’t quite know how the Society operates).

sniderman wrote:No one does. :twisted:

Oooh, sounds ominous.
:)
segeorge

Postby sniderman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:15 am

To keep the game moving forward, here's how I suggest you all post your moves:

First, please post your character name at the beginning of your move in bold like this:

Sniderman

Then write your move out under it. That way, I can tell at a glance which character is doing what.

Next up, to keep the game from bogging down, each player should (typically) post once after I post a move reply. In-character conversations that are "involved" can be taken to the "Casual Banter" forum I just opened up. That would be a good place to compare notes, discuss backgrounds, and such. Take a look again at the Postage Due game I ran to get an idea as to how the back-and-forth nature of the PbP game will be run.

OK, I think that's a nice summary! I'm off to process the current moves. Stay tuned!
sniderman

Postby funfungiguy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:48 pm

We doing this?
funfungiguy

Postby sniderman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Yes, I just got back from a week's vacation and am trying to get back on track. New move should be posted this weekend. Did you not get my email from before the holiday?
sniderman

Postby segeorge » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:53 am

"he [Chief Perry] says as he dashes from the room."

I really hope he's dashing to look up missing persons reports!

Scott
segeorge

Postby greyarea » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:20 pm

Happy GM day, sniderman
greyarea

Postby segeorge » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:08 pm

I didn't even know that was a thing! :oops: I guess I live a sheltered life. :D

So happy belated GM day.

Scott
segeorge