Creatures of the Tropical Wastes

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Creatures of the Tropical Wastes

Postby outlander » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:44 pm

Hey, everyone -

I can't believe that I totally forgot to post this here, but last week my first of many books for Mutant Future was published.

I wrote it during my vacation in the Philippines in January of 2010 and it is now for sale throught RPGNow and RPGdrivethrough.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... s_id=92943

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts and comments on this publication.

Chris
outlander

Re: Creatures of the Tropical Wastes

Postby outlander » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:48 am

Hopefully this will help garner a few more sales.

Here's the first review for my book....

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_reviews_i ... s_id=92943

Chris
outlander

Postby Adapt » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:54 am

Congrats! I will definitely be picking this up! I have the other Mutant Future books that Skirmisher has put out, and they have been top notch.
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)
Playing: Night's Dark Terror (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby outlander » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:49 am

Thanks!

Best thing is that 125 copies are being printed for distribution.

Chris
outlander

Postby renegade_counsel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:09 am

Chris,

Apologies for posting only now- I misplaced my old Goblinoid forums account and hence had to create this new one. Allow me to congratulate you heartily for a job well done for Creatures of the Tropical Wasteland. I had an inkling about your book from my friend Brutehorse Bill who hinted about the work you were doing. I purchased a pdf right then and there when I found out your book was released.

It isn't everyday when I feel that a game book comes out which caters specifically to my game. But yes, COTW is one of those books - it hit right on the spot as to my currrent mutant future game. I've been running a tropical mutant future game for about 2 months now set in the Philippines. Reading through your book game me and my players a great time as we were actually statting out mutants which appeared in your book. It was great to see your take on the post-apocalyptic mutated versions of the flora and fauna my players encounter everyday (from this you may surmise that my players and I hail from the Philippines).

I loved your use of certain Tagalog words with the mutants in your book as it went very far and effectively in infusing a lot of local color. By far, my favorite critters in your work are the War Baboy (a bad-ass pig!) and the Palmer. Imagining the latter in real life makes me look up with trepidation everytime I walk under a coconut tree these days when i go for hikes.

In any case, please accept my heartfelt congratulations. Great job. I look forward to unleashing your critters upon my valiant band of adventurers in weeks to come.

RC

ps. If for some reason you find yourself in Manila anytime soon with time to game, do let me know - our game is still going strong and looks like it will for some months to come thanks to COTW. :D
renegade_counsel

Postby greyarea » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:50 am

Picked this up today from e23 (which I prefer over RPG now). Very cool on a first glance!
greyarea

Postby Justin S. Davis » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I bought my copy last week!
Consult A Field Guide To Doomsday, for all your mutant monster needs!

http://afieldguidetodoomsday.blogspot.com/
Justin S. Davis

Postby sniderman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:54 pm

outlander wrote:Thanks!

Best thing is that 125 copies are being printed for distribution.

Chris

Oh? Where could one order a printed copy? Also, are any of the other Skirmisher Mutant Future "Creatures" books available in print? (CotW, Mutational Evolution, and Habits)?
sniderman

Postby outlander » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:15 am

Hey, Renegade -

Sorry it took me so long to reply but I don't come to these forums too often, as you might have noticed.

Thank you kindly for what you have to say about my book. =) I'm glad that I was able to create something that was exactly at least one person was looking for. It's a very rare thing to find people from the Philippines that are gamers. It's just that I found that it's not really a cultural thing, role playing, unless it's computer games.

My brothers in law were of great help when it came to the Tagalog (although my wife helped a little too).

You'll be pleased to know then that I have ten more critters that were cut from the book that'll be appearing in a Mutant Future weekly mini-magazine that I'm publishing through Skirmisher games. It'll be starting in September, and I already have about 15 issues written up.

Derek Holland will be contributing as well, but he's mainly going for critters. I have been concentrating on tech and alternate rules (three issues devoted to new weapon systems alone!) and an issue that has 7 new playable races (several inspired from these forums, and those who came up with the ideas are getting credit for it).

I won't be anywhere near the Philippines until around Sept. 2012, and then we're going to be down in Iloilo with my wife's family. I might stop in Manila for a few days to get some cloths (love some of the Thailand dragon print shirts I found there last year). I do appreciate the invite believe me.

Guess I'll have to write up a few more just for you guys, and maybe create a few factions for the tropics as well (I have two issues with a total of 8 factions AKA Cryptic alliances already complete).

Feel free to add me on facebook if you wish.

By the way, if you haven't written a review, please do so. The more reviews I get, the better the sales will be. =)

Sniderman -

Mike has plans on doing all the MF books in hardcopy format. I'm not entirely sure how soon this will be, maybe head over to the Skirmisher forums and check it out there, or contact Mike directly. They should be hitting the various stores in a few weeks time. If you're going to Gencon Mike will have several copies for sale there.

EVERYONE - This would be a good time for me to announce the Weekly Magazine.... although I guess technically I already have. =) If you're interested in what we're doing, check out the forums at Skirmisher and go to the weekly sub-forum. I've outlined all the stuff that I've been working on. Once I finally get my Dunjinni working again then I'm going to put some SERIOUS effort into creating some micro adventures and one shot encounters to be used in any game.

Chris Van Deelen
outlander

Return to Mutant Future