Omega World?

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Omega World?

Postby Blood axe » Sat May 10, 2014 2:17 am

OMEGA WORLD

Ive heard of this game, but never looked into it. It was in Dungeon magazine #94/Polyhedron #154, back in 2002. Its basically a simplified version of Gamma World using D&D 3.0/3.5. (with feats & such) The whole set of rules is about 30 pages.

Anyone else have any experience with this game? Or even played it?

I was thinking of making a simplified version of Mutant Future , calling it Omega Future....or Mutant World. ;)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Omega World?

Postby Malcadon » Sat May 10, 2014 6:13 am

The list of mutants seem limited, but I'll bet with some work, you could make it better. And it uses the normal class/level system with bonus HP per level. They do make up for it with Reserve Points -- they work like Accumulated Resistance, but you can only draw from it after a short amount of time has passed (if you bleed-out until then, you'll still die). Otherwise, it has a sizable list of mutations and relics, with stats for classic GW mutants. I like the use of free-form EXP.

I recommend checking out the Pathfinder and the Conan RPG (by Mongoose) systems for additional rule ideas.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Blood axe » Sat May 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Im going to start a new thread & kick around some ideas. I want this to be just a very basic game (maybe 20 pages). Something like the old Basic D&D red book Moldvay.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Sat May 10, 2014 11:12 pm

Blood axe wrote:Im going to start a new thread & kick around some ideas. I want this to be just a very basic game (maybe 20 pages). Something like the old Basic D&D red book Moldvay.

I see, you want to make as simplified as possible -- no feats and such. If it is going to be like Basic D&D, you'll still need about 30 or so pages.

I have some ideas on Reserve Points, but I'll save that for the new thread.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby MythAdvocate » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:19 am

Ran an Omega World game some time ago. It was (in my opinion) the best mini-game that they ever put in Polyhedron. Easy to roll up a character and easy for a PC to get killed.

I even started a wiki on the campaign: http://savagefuture.pbworks.com/w/page/7989803/FrontPage
MythAdvocate

Postby JDJarvis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:52 pm

last I looked Paizo was still selling the issue of polyhedron with Omega World in it, not sure if it's still there but it could be. I played with it a few times and it was fun and relaxed take on post-apocalyptic GW-like wahoo using the 3.0 d20 rules as a base.
JDJarvis

Postby Dyson Logos » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:48 pm

I ran twelve games of it.

It remains one of my favourite Gamma World implementations ever.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Return to Mutant Future