Magic most foul and loathsome.

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Magic most foul and loathsome.

Postby Agrippa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:02 am

After spending a period of time searching for inspiration for some truely obscene and horrific spells for dark mages. The sort of vile and depraved enchantments, conjurings and necromancies that would make the likes of Thoth Amon and Thulsa Doom want to take on Sauron in a knife fight just to get their hands on them. Now these first few spells are conversions from White Wolf's Exalted so I sincerly hope no one objects to their inclusion. Now I'm still working on the bodies of each spell and I'd like some help deciding their levels. So with no further ado I present to you to three loathsome and debauched spells of great power, Sins of the Father, Blood Monsoon and Lord of the Dead.

Sins of the Father
Level: MU 8
Range: Touch
Casting Time: Three rounds
Duration: Indefinite
Effect: Enslaves the minds and souls of one victim and his or her descendants even into the afterlife.

By means of this vile enchantment the necromancer in question brutally crushes the will of another, completely turning the victim into his slave. When casting this spell the magus must maintain physical contact with the intended victim and carefully intone each nightmarish syllable. Upon completion, the unholy power invoked by this rite shackles the poor suffering wretch's will to your own. Yet even more horrific is the truth that the victim's descendants down to the third generation are subjected to this same fate, starting with their fifthteenth birthdays. However there is some hope to resist this depraved curse, any would be victim who makes a successful Save vs. Spells at a -3 penalty is free of this malediction. In addition a casting remove curse by a cleric or magic-user equal to or higher level than the dark sorcerer can break this wicked bond for the recipient and his direct descendants. A casting detect evil or detect magic on an activated thrall reveals a set of ebon chains leading back to the warlock who first layed the enchantment.

Blood Monsoon
Level: MU 9, Cleric 7
Area: 300' per level radius
Duration: One hour per two magic-user or cleric levels.
Effect: Geyser of blood fuels and bolsters both the necromancer and all undead in the spell's radius.

With several deathly and ghastly chants the necromancer causes an erruption of blood from beneath the ground near his feet, blotting out the sun and nurturing the undead. This fine misting rain of blood extends for miles bolstering the undead, the necromancer and his allies while sickening all other living things. All undead plus the necromancer and his living allies are granted a +5 to hit and damage for the duration of the spell. In addition the necromancer and all undead regenerate three hit points per round while the necromancer doubles the range, duration (if applicable) and area of his spells. On the other side of the coin all other living things beside the necromancer and his closest allies suffer a -5 penalty to attack. This is provided they pass a Saving throw vs Death Magic or be rendered nauseous and unable to move for three rounds. Furthermore both magical and natural healing for living beings aside from the necromancer are halved. Any attempts to move any more than half normal speed on land forces a roll to avoid slipping on the slick blood. This side effect lasts for several hours after the spell proper ends. Blood Monsoon also forces a morale check from your enemies every five rounds.

Lord of the Dead
Level: MU 6
Range: Self
Duration: One day
Effect: Grants the caster power over the undead.

"Then did Ganbaatar Khan, the Ebon Potentate of the Plains did pronounce this terrible incantation. His shadow grew large drew unto itself immense and nightmarish power. With this power Ganbaatar ripped command of the walking dead from their masters and bind to his own will those still able to think. He commanded and compelled thousands of the undead who thus swelled the ranks of his mighty Emerald Horde."

When receiting this incantation the necromancer's a black, inky siluete grows in size. It the becomes distorted and monstrous in appearing, developing tendrils and reaching across for miles, then it pulls back towards the magus. This grants a magic-user the ability command undead as an evil cleric of his level for one whole day.
Last edited by Agrippa on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:21 am, edited 12 times in total.
Agrippa

Re: Magic most foul and loathsome.

Postby monk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:37 pm

I don't have any suggestions, but just want to say that I'm in the process of creating new spells myself and was wondering just the same thing: how to tell what level they should be.
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Postby Thakazum » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Those look enormously powerful. I like the dark feel of them, however. (I'm not familiar with Exalted.)
Thakazum

Postby Agrippa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Thakazum wrote:Those look enormously powerful. I like the dark feel of them, however. (I'm not familiar with Exalted.)

Why thank you, they are supposed to be enormously powerful spells, I'm just wondering how enormously powerful. Which is why I just finished the first one Sins of the Father. And if you want to know what Exalted is, check these links.
Agrippa

Postby bathwizard » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:40 pm

Sins of the Father looks like the sort of spell an adventure would be centered around. I would guess that it is approximately level 7 or 8 since a saving throw is allowed, and also Remove Curse is a solution that many magic users and clerics would be aware of.
As for the other two, I would need more details. How does Blood Monsoon boost the caster and undead? Increased hit points? Increased spell damage or duration? Bonuses to hit?
Lord of the Dead you could say gives the caster the ability to command undead as a chaotic cleric for the duration of the day. If it is as a cleric of the same level, I would say 5th level or higher, and you could rule that failed attempts to command result in hostile undead attacking the caster. If you say that the Command Undead attempt always works regardless of the caster's level or the undead's hit dice then it becomes a lot more powerful - perhaps 8th or 9th level given that vampires, liches and ghosts could be commanded without risk.

Just my ideas.
Bathwizard

My new blog is the Tales of Kaelaross, a world for Basic D&D/LL
bathwizard

Postby Agrippa » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:37 am

Finished Sins of the Father and I'm already thinking about Lord of the Dead.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:45 am

I just typed up Lord of the Dead and I'll be working on Blood Monsoon very soon. I'm probably going peg it at 5th level but if anyone thinks differently please say so. In the mean let's celebrate with a little semi-thematically appropriate music.
Last edited by Agrippa on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:55 pm

I've just completed Blood Monsoon if anyone is still interested. I'm afraid I made it too powerful and I can fix it later if any one thinks it needs to be. So what level do you think it should be?
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I just added a little bit more to the Blood Monsoon spell and I'm waiting to hear what level you think it should be.
Agrippa

Postby harmyn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Given the large scale penalties and bonuses it gives, I would suggest making it a 7th level Clerical spell or 9th level Magic-User spell. Giving regeneration and attack/damage bonuses while simultaniously inflicting major penalties and hampering other forms of magic is extremely potent. I would definitely say make it maximum level. But that is just my thoughts on it.

They are interesting spells though. Nicely done good sir!
harmyn

Next

Return to Open Workshop