Super Heroes games? Any good ones?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: Super Heroes games? Any good ones?

Postby Blood axe » Fri May 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Im now leaning towards 4C & Marvel again.(Thanks Dyson) A huge selling point is that its FREE! Players can get their own books and look at the rules.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby YHWH » Tue May 31, 2011 1:25 am

I rolled up a couple characters for 4c then fought them to try out the system.

Neither had super strength, but at one point in the battle, one punched the other "hard enough to knock him through a brick wall". One shouldn't have been able to do it, and the other shouldn't have been able to survive it. Maybe it was my error and not the system's, but I don't think so.

Doesn't fill me with confidence.
YHWH

Postby Blood axe » Tue May 31, 2011 2:05 am

YHWH wrote:I rolled up a couple characters for 4c then fought them to try out the system.

Neither had super strength, but at one point in the battle, one punched the other "hard enough to knock him through a brick wall". One shouldn't have been able to do it, and the other shouldn't have been able to survive it. Maybe it was my error and not the system's, but I don't think so.

Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Can you post more details?
Blood axe

Postby YHWH » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:57 am

I'd forgotten all the details and I'm rusty with the system but I've puzzled out what happened!

Look at the Black result for the Pound attack: "...if the attacker's Brawn is greater than the Material Value of the obstacle, the defender is knocked through the obstacle" (p27)

The Material value of brick is 10 - 19. (p27)

Brawn is defined by Rank values. (p5) A rank value of 10 - 19 represents "Above-average human". (p7)

So, on a good roll an above-average human could punch someone through a brick wall. (and an exceptional human could punch someone through a concrete wall.)

Implied setting: all bricks must be foam movie props. :D
YHWH

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:45 am

If you want to make things more realistic, you can always increase the material value for objects. That isn't the goal of the game, though. It's designed to give you the same feel as a comic. In comcis, people are always doing things that are not realistic, like surviving being thrown through a wall. That's one of the main characteristics of comics - destructible hyperreality.
Bob

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Anybody try ICONS ?? They have some neat "hero books" too. The heroes are "cartoony" though.
Blood axe

Postby Thakazum » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:38 pm

I haven't tried it (not really into supers) but I hear it's actually quite good.
Thakazum

Postby Simon W » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:25 am

I suugest my own SUPERS! At $5 for the pdf, you can't go too far wrong. Here is a video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6kxnomL1s4&feature=player_embedded

I can see how it may not appeal to those who like a bit more "crunch" to slow their games down ( ;) ) so my 2nd fave of all time would have to go to V&V. Honourable mention goes to BASH, but I prefer 1st ed over 2nd.
Simon W

Postby Blood axe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:24 pm

I just bought SUPERS!! ( and Woodland Warriors Greyrock & Out West!!) Cool stuff.
Blood axe

Postby Brad » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:02 pm

I seriously have to wonder when people seek realism in a game based on comicbooks...anyway, the past few weeks I've been researching this very topic myself. I think I've decided that DC Heroes is the best superhero game in implementation, although I dislike point-buy. Still trying to come up with a good random generation scheme to not much success. I wish the Ultimate Powers Book was easily convertible to DCH.
Brad

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion