Mutant Future - Thundarr: Across the Dimensional Divide

This is a place to post your home-brew adventures.

Mutant Future - Thundarr: Across the Dimensional Divide

Postby sniderman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:58 pm

At Gen Con 2012, I ran a game of Mutant Future that placed the PCs in the roles of everyone's favorite Barbarian, Sorcerer, and Mok! There was a LOT of interest in the game and the six players who got in reportedly had a grand old time in the world of '80s post-apocalyptic action cartoons!

For those folks who'd like to run it themselves, or perhaps if you think your own homebrewed PCs have what it takes to survive under the broken moon, go download the adventure here:

Thundarr the Barbarian: Across the Dimensional Divide

A few notes:

* The adventure is hardly a polished effort, as it's my rough notes for use during a con game. So please excuse spelling errors, formatting issues, and general unattractiveness. Originally, it was just for my eyes only.
* The script should be easy enough to follow, but it is a 3-4 hour "railroad" convention one-shot. There's not much "depth" to it. Point A to Point B to Point C to Big Bad Boss at the end.
* I played the opening credits on a tablet for the players as we started. And when we were done, I played the end credits. This really helped the atmosphere and set the mood.
* There are pre-gens for Thundarr, Ookla, and Ariel. You'll need to make two copies of each. (You'll see why when you read the text.) Encourage the players to play the characters straight as it really helps make the game a success.
* Be sure to play it like the cartoon. Play up the voices and the exaggerated action sequences. If your players want to do it, let it happen! In my game, Ookla landed on the hood of a moving car, driving the engine block into the ground, and sending the car flying. Thundarr jumped onto the back of the Dimensional Worm and rodeo-rode it to submission. One Ariel cast a light-bridge to reach the foe while the other Ariel ran along it to deliver the final blow. The other Ookla grabbed a set of car tires and threw them over the wizard, effectively trapping him within. Cartoon action, my friends!
* If you'd like to run your home PCs through the adventure, you should be able to "ramp up" the encounters and the lethality of Yin/Yan. However, this game takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where magic exists. If magic doesn't exist in your campaign, have Yin/Yan's merging/dimension breaches be the result of "Ancient technology in the wrong hands."
sniderman

Re: Mutant Future - Thundarr: Across the Dimensional Divide

Postby greyarea » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:54 am

Lords of Light! This should be a PbP game here.

Sweeeeet!
greyarea

Return to Adventures