Edition differences?

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Edition differences?

Postby Saedor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:10 pm

So, I had the first edition of S&S back in the day, and remember having alot of fun with it. Thinking about getting the new edition, but I'm wondering what is different between the two editions?
Saedor

Re: Edition differences?

Postby gentleman john » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:48 pm

The real difference is in the game system, as that pretty much affects everything else. While S&S1e used a system that was unique to it, S&S2e uses a system based on Labyrinth Lord/BECMI. Character generation is roll characteristics on 3d6 each, choose race, choose service branch (or class). The number of races has been increased, though. Advancement is still level-based with increasing levels bringing increased skills and equipment allowance.

The fluff text is still intact, and the background is the same.

Personally, as an owner of both, I think S&S2e is worth it; and the game has received some good feedback whenever I have dragged it out at conventions.
gentleman john

Re: Edition differences?

Postby Saedor » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks. I bought the 2nd edition rules and it looks like a great game. I still might get the 1st edition too, for nostalgia reasons if nothing else. I was a huge FGU fan back in the day and owned nearly all the games they produced. While I still have several in pdf form, I wish I still had all the originals. :)
Saedor

Return to Starships & Spacemen