what level party should take on Orcus?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

what level party should take on Orcus?

Postby derekliese » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:36 am

I've always wanted to have my players go up against this classic baddy. What level of a balanced party is suitable to fight him without having to modify any of his hit dice or special abilities? Thanks
derekliese

Re: what level party should take on Orcus?

Postby Vlark » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:21 am

First! :twisted:
Vlark

Postby by_the_sword » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:33 am

Vlark may have a point by stating "first" (as in 1st level). One does not simply walk up to Orcus' abyssal lair and ring his doorbell then gank him when he answers. An adventure party would have to slog through legions of his followers, beginning with the ones on the prime material plane. You would have to build a whole campaign around that eventual outcome.

But eventually, they might get there. I would have to estimate that a well-balanced party of six ( 2 fighting types, 1 thief/assassin/monk, 1 cleric/druid, 1 M-U and one other spell caster or thief type. They should have some decent magical gear.

I would recommend that you get ahold of the old AD&D Module Q1: Queen of the Demonweb Pits, to get a feel for how a Demon Lord sets up their lair and all the crap that they make the PC's go through before they get to go toe-to-toe with the big-baddie.
by_the_sword

Postby derekliese » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:54 am

Well, I was thinking that he would be the final encounter in my campaign, but he would have accidentally been summoned via a portal or some magical device, and the PCs will have to deal with him.
derekliese

Postby YHWH » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:02 pm

In your shoes I would just drop Orcus when I was ready to end the campaign. If they live, they live and if they die, they die. It's not like he's only going to appear at the exact time they're ready to handle him. Having them in over their heads can create interesting situations too.

Or if I was really curious... I'd make up some really high level characters for testing purposes and fight them, playing both sides. Should get a good feel from that.
YHWH

Postby sniderman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 am

Ever read the Age of Worms Adventure Path that ran in Dungeon magazine? It's a series of 10-12 adventures leading up to the final confrontation with Kyuss, the God of Worms. First adventure is for levels 1-3. Next adventure is 4-6 level. As the party works its way through this mega-module, they eventually reach the final adventure where they confront a god. By that time, they are supposed to be around 20th level with many artifacts including several pieces of the Rod of Seven Parts. Playing through the entire Adventure Path up to the final fight is supposed to take nearly a year of real-time play.

Yeah, that's what I have in mind except instead of Kyuss, substitute Orcus.

(Oh, and "accidentally summoning" Orcus? Never gonna happen.)
sniderman

Postby John Adams » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:14 am

We did it back in AD&D with the Bloodstone modules. Lets see. I believe Orcus wiped the floor with our party of twelve 22nd level characters. But I think he still has a few years left before he can return to this plane. ;)
John Adams

Postby derekliese » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks for answering my question. In regards to accidentally summoning Orcus "never gonna happen"; it,s my game, I can do whatever I want ;p haha,
but in all seriousness, this is the first time I have made a homebrew campaign. It is going very well, I just need to have an idea of how it is going to end. Typical scenario: The players found that a cult has destroyed nearly an entire region but are in hiding somewhere, only the capital city remains, anywhere within a few miles of the city walls and danger lurks everywhere. Once the party gathers enough clues, they will be able to find the source of walking undead and demonic creatures everywhere, just gotta figure out how to make a satisfying ending. There is plenty of political drama and dungeons runs outside the city walls to keep players busy but it all needs to be wrapped up with a pretty little bow at some point. Any advice is more than welcome!!
derekliese

Postby greyarea » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Vlark wrote:First! :twisted:

LOL
greyarea

Postby YHWH » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Kyuss

Anyone heard of the band?
YHWH

Next

Return to Open Discussion