Chopped as a forum game

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Want to participate?

I would be a player
100%
I would be the host
No votes
I would play and host
No votes
This isn't for me
No votes

Total votes : 1

Chopped as a forum game

Postby The Lizard of Oz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:33 am

Ok guys and gals, I'm gauging interest in a forum game. It is modeled off of the show Chopped that appears on the FoodNetwork. For those that haven't seen Chopped, here is the quick and dirty on how it works.

You have a panel of judges and 4 competing chefs. There are 3 rounds. An appetizer, a main course and a dessert round. Each round the chefs are given 4 mystery ingredients all of which they must use in some way and then they have so much time in which to create a dish. At the end of each round the judges sample the dishes and one of the chefs is eliminated. This continues until only one is left the winner and declared Chopped Champion.

Of course this version won't follow that exactly but will be comparable. Here is what I am thinking.

There will be one person running it. The host. They will pick what is to be created each round and provide 3-5 "mystery ingredients" for the players to use.

The judges will be the board members, judged by using a poll. Posting in the judging thread would be allowed. Critizism is welcome as long as it's constructive.

The players would be the first 4 people to post that they want to play.

Pretty simple.

Here are a few details on how it could be ran.

The host would start a thread and state the time they will post the "mystery ingredients" and also the cut-off time they have to get their entries in. The host then edits the thread with the ingredients when the time comes.

The entries will be sent by pm to the host. Once the cut-off time is reached (that way if a player wants to change something before the time is up, they can) the host will make a new thread with a poll and the entries for the board members to vote on. I'm thinking 24-72 hours time frame for players to create their entries depending on what they are. Creating a monster or spell will probably take less time for some than keying up a 15 encounter area map. Also, by pm'ing the host the entries and having them post, it keeps the judges blind from which player created which entry.

After 2 or 3 days of voting, 1 player is eliminated and the remaining 3 move on to the next round and the process repeats until only one is left standing.

I am also thinking it should be kept to LL, AEC and MF because they are free and easily accessible. But any mystery ingredient should be easy to access as well, be it a picture or an every day item or a song or a wiki page about some little known mythological creature or what have you.

I am kind of worried about board clutter with so many possible threads per game.

So there it is. Any thoughts about it, feel free to post. Remember, it's just about having fun and getting those creative juices flowing.
No man is more dangerous than one convinced of his own moral superiority.
The Lizard of Oz

Return to Open Discussion