Any interest in a new PbP?

Post your online or in person gamer meetups here! Post here if seeking to start a game.

Any interest in a new PbP?

Postby badams30 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 am

I've really been enjoying the PbP games I've been in on these boards, and since a couple that I have been in have died a slow, wasting death, I've gotten the itch.
No, not that itch, I have a cream for that one...

If there is some interest, and the Forum Gods don't take offense at another game, I was thinking of launching a new PbP. A campaign in either:

1. The Forgotten Realms. The original box set, as-is. None of that later novel-driven soap opera business, just a detailed area of the Realms, likely toward Waterdeep and the North, possibly some Dalelands. (no, no plans to involve Myth Drannor either.)

or

2. Aquaria. The Frank Mentzer old-school homebrewed world, which has some great opportunities for adventure and unique environs.

I've caught some flack from a handful of people when I mentioned running a Realms-based campaign, but my thoughts are toward using the background, and not all those annoying characters such as Elminster, Drizzt, etc. Not saying they don't exist, just not focusing on them.

I'm thinking 4-6 players, tops. AEC rules, with some obligatory homebrew rules tossed in for good measure. I'm not a rules Nazi, and I am shooting for a post every day or two, just to keep it moving along.

Any interest or takers? If I can get at least 4, I think I'll give this a shot. I DM'ed a long running campaign in the Realms a few years ago, and it was pretty fun and well-received. Aquaria would be cool as well, If you are interested, let me know your thoughts and preferences, and maybe we can get a nice game going.

Thanks.
badams30

Re: Any interest in a new PbP?

Postby greyarea » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm quite busy but potentially interested. I know nothing of Aquaria and know the Forgotten Realms only from video games set there.

Can you give an idea of what the homebrew rules might be?
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Sorry - misworded. Will be LL AEC rules, my houserules are pretty minor things (max hp at lv1, I use criticial hits/misses, and a few other little things, but nothing crazy or outlandish.)

Aquaria is a fairly big world, with some good history behind it. A couple centuries back there was an epic good vs. evil type battle that ravaged the continent, destroyed the capitol city (literally made it disappear and there's a huge, nasty, evil swamp in it's place) and left good and evil weak, but both coexisting nervously together. In the current era (the one I'd run, if I did it) evil is looking to shore up things in preparation to make its move, and good is blissfully ignorant of things and generally lives with it's blinders on. Adventuring isn't wildly common, and adventurers are usually regarded with curiousity. Nothing out of the ordinary with regard to races, classes, or things like that. Non-humans aren't as widespread as they are in some other campaign worlds, but are common enough where they don't typically draw a second glance, except maybe in smaller communities. Aquaria lends itself pretty well to a sandbox setting, moreso than the Forgotten Realms.

And the Forgotten Realms setting I would run would be a blank slate, using the first boxed set that came out, before the setting got all crazy-commercial and went wild. It is a HUGE world, but I would probably run a campaign in the north country and Dalelands. Adventuring is very common, and adventurers band together in companies with colorful names, and some countries require adventuring bands to get charters. It's a free-for-all world where anything goes, not as dark as Aquaria, but with plenty of bad guys waiting in the wings to take a bite out of good. I have lots of 1st Ed adventures for the realms, and I've been in lots of campaigns there. Less sandbox, but if people want to just go out and find adventure, it's out there.

I'd be happy with either world/setting. While Aquaria has never been published en masse, I've been collating notes, maps and history since the late 80s. It's unique, and has lots of room for political intrigues. I've never run a campaign there, but I have enough notes and plot hooks that could keep a group busy past level 9-10+. Lots of angles for adventure and opportunities for characters to make a name for themselves in the region.

The Forgotten Realms has lots of places to go and see, and much records to draw from, and a more sunny, happy plot. It's an easy choice to play in, with lots of backgound info and places to go and see. And like I said, I have a ton of modules and quick adventures. And interestingly, Ed Greenwood and Mentzer had talked about putting Aquaria on the far reaches of the Forgotten Realms map, so its out there too... somewhere.

I'd like to run a fun campaign, not fast paced, not slow paced, but with something for everyone. That's why I'm proposing to run either world, whatever gets the vote. I'd be tickled to do either one. And someone PM'ed me and asked me if I was a killer GM? Nope. I don't take joy in killing my players, and like any heroic movie, novel or story, I'll reward daring and bravado accordingly. But by the same token, you can't be stupid and hope to get away with it every time.

If you have questions, ask em, or send me a PM. I'm open to suggestions, and like I said, I'd run either world. I love em' both.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 pm

Again, interested. A campaign in either world would be fine by me. I'm not sure I would have the time so I'm not committing but I'm very interested.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Cool. Thanks. Doesn't seem to be much interest, so it may be a moot point.
badams30

Postby connivingsumo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:12 pm

badams30 wrote:Cool. Thanks. Doesn't seem to be much interest, so it may be a moot point.

MEMEMEMEMEMEME!! :D

I am interested! :mrgreen:

*Give it a few days - I bet you can get 4, at least... and if you don't, then there will suddenly be some "new members" that will be interested - like sumoconniving, consumo, sumocon, and possibly omusgnivinnoc - I bet they're interested too! :lol: :P :lol: :P
Last edited by connivingsumo on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby connivingsumo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm

I would play either campaign, but the Aquaria one sounds pretty interesting.

Also, I would play pretty much any race/class - whatever the group needs.

On a side note - I thought about 'testing the water' for a new pbp LL/AEC game. I planned on stringing some modules together for my "campaign." I'm just waiting to see how busy I am with work and school before I throw the fishing line out there.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby badams30 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:47 pm

One vote for Aquaria, cool. That's one yes, one maybe. And 'Sumo, if you start one, you've got to reserve me a space... If for nothing less than off color commentary and silly antics.
I plan on keeping the group size fairly small to allow for more detailed character development and faster pace....
badams30

Postby connivingsumo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 pm

badams30 wrote:I plan on keeping the group size fairly small to allow for more detailed character development and faster pace....

I had the same thought if I get one rolling, but - on the other hand - it would be hard to turn people away that wanted to play! :mrgreen:

I'll definitely hold a spot open for you! :D

connivingsumo

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:04 am

Hey, I just saw this one. I would be interested in playing either "world". Have played and GM'd a ton in the forgotten realms. Waterdeep was like a second home. You may want to post the open game on other boards to see if there is interest.

:D :D
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Next

Return to Gamer Gatherings