Compiled Labyrinth Lord Poll

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Would you like LL and AEC compiled in one volume or two volumes?

One volume
78%
Two volumes (separate player's handbook)
15%
No preference
7%

Total votes : 104

Re: Compiled Labyrinth Lord Poll

Postby AndrewNI » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Omote wrote:Having a compiled book is certainly going to be a treat. I do very much like the overall trade dress, and interior artwork to the current LL and AEC. With new art, I hope that the style is consistent like the current versions. That really make it look top-notch. As for adding or changing content, I think it's almost mandatory. In effect, this will be a new printing or edition with added errata and general fixes. That's certainly a plus on its own, but to make this new tome with even a little new material makes it a must-buy. That doesn't invalidate the older printing in anyway. But, new material will add in value to potential buyers, myself included. I also plan to contribute and mightily support this endeavor.

~O

Fixing up some of the mistakes and oversights in LL and AEC would be good, not that I've encountered that many at all. I can understand how adding new material would draw in more buyers, but personally I would buy it regardless. I'm a bit of an LL fanboy, if I'm using that word correctly. :lol:
AndrewNI

Postby Eldrad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:12 am

Wulfgar22 wrote:
chiisu81 wrote:
Personally I don't want anything added that's not already in LL or AEC.

Same here.

Vile wrote:
chiisu81 wrote:
Eldrad wrote:One thing I would like to see (and I think many would agree) is a few brief pages of "optional" race and class choices as presented in a certain unnamed arcana book that became unearthed. Though some may disagree, I think this would be a great selling point.

Other possible but less desired additions would be cantrips.

What optional options would you like to see?

Same here. I want something that is an integrated, convenient alternative to the existing material, not a replacement or add-on.

chiisu81 wrote:
Goblinoid Games wrote:I'm getting some ideas together. Will be busy the rest of this year but I think launching something the first part of 2014 is realistic. It will have to be a Kickstarter because I anticipate art costing a lot for this one.

Whoa not gonna use the existing artwork? I love Zieser's illustrations!

Eldrad wrote:One thing I would like to see (and I think many would agree) is a few brief pages of "optional" race and class choices as presented in a certain unnamed arcana book that became unearthed. Though some may disagree, I think this would be a great selling point.

Other possible but less desired additions would be cantrips.

What optional options would you like to see?

The rules need a few tweaks added to them. Like I said to satisfy everyone red the book in a compiled form and then have an appendices of "optional" rules taken from arcana that was unearthed and such. That way everyone gets what they want out of this new edition.
Eldrad

Postby Vile » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:04 am

Eldrad wrote:The rules need a few tweaks added to them. Like I said to satisfy everyone red the book in a compiled form and then have an appendices of "optional" rules taken from arcana that was unearthed and such. That way everyone gets what they want out of this new edition.

Well, that depends. Even if the optional material is tucked into appendices, if there is a lot of it then it will add quite a bit to the page count and hence the cost, not to mention the physical size of the book. LL+AEC makes sense as one book because that is how most people seem to be using the rules anyway. The reason I would prefer to stay away from optional material is because, if it's optional, then it really should be in another book.

To clarify exactly what I personally would prefer is an integrated version of the existing rules, with known errata fixed, and new or additional art an optional extra (i.e. it won't influence my decision to buy one way or the other). My definition of errata is actual mistakes like typos, or points where the rules do not work and a fix has been found. I wouldn't like to see any more departure than that to maintain maximum backwards compatibility. That is only my personal preference, of course, and it's up to Goblinoid Games to decide.
The BLUEHOLME™ Project
Vile

Postby Omote » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Making the new combined version of LL+AEC backwards compatible is probably the way to go, and adding clarification is critical. However, adding stuff (and just as example, new classes, spells, magic items, etc.) to the existing game will not change the previous versions. Added value is a boon in itself, and adding more material would certainly not turn me off to the new version of the Combined book. GG may see things differently, but I am certainly excited to see fixes and a least a little new stuff. ;)

~O
Omote

Postby Wulfgar22 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Vile wrote: LL+AEC makes sense as one book because that is how most people seem to be using the rules anyway. The reason I would prefer to stay away from optional material is because, if it's optional, then it really should be in another book.

To clarify exactly what I personally would prefer is an integrated version of the existing rules, with known errata fixed, and new or additional art an optional extra (i.e. it won't influence my decision to buy one way or the other). My definition of errata is actual mistakes like typos, or points where the rules do not work and a fix has been found. I wouldn't like to see any more departure than that to maintain maximum backwards compatibility. That is only my personal preference, of course, and it's up to Goblinoid Games to decide.

Exactly how I feel.
Wulfgar22

Postby greyarea » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Wulfgar22 wrote:
Vile wrote: LL+AEC makes sense as one book because that is how most people seem to be using the rules anyway. The reason I would prefer to stay away from optional material is because, if it's optional, then it really should be in another book.

Exactly how I feel.

Agreed
greyarea

Postby Black Wyvern » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:30 pm

I agree too.

And fix leather armor.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Eldrad » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:54 pm

fix Leather armor.

Let Elves be Rangers to 8th to 10th level.
Eldrad

Postby greyarea » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Suggestion: If you do a Kickstarter campaign, have a stretch goal be an enhanced or augmented PDF version, with lots of hotlinks and whatnot. (Nova Praxis and EABA are examples of this.)

Epub and Mobi versions could make for another (easier) stretch goal.
greyarea

Postby Mach Front » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:51 am

Eldrad wrote:Let Elves be Rangers to 8th to 10th level.

Please don't. That's not the way it is in AD&D and besides, why would elves partake of a class that's meant to represent human fighters who roam remote wilds for the purpose of protecting human civilization from the dangers of those wilds? Elves homes are the wilds. Rangers* in OD&D and AD&D are not the 'friends of of the forest'/tree-hugger class they tended to be viewed as and became in AD&D2E.

*(though, admittedly, in Vol.1, #2 of The Strategic Review (Summer 1975) then-18-year-old Joe Fischer designed more of an Aragorn Mary Sue class than an actual ranger class, but still)
Mach Front

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord