The Town That Was Not There

greyarea's Labyrinth Lord game

Moderator: greyarea

Re: The Town That Was Not There

Postby kjc » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:59 am

Shae - Fighter/Mage

Shae smiles slightly and blushes at Castinus' touch. Lowering her gaze at the appearance of the lammasu, her mind races. Even before the letter, and mention of Keraptis, even before her suspicions are confirmed, she knows the three items are Whelm, Wave, and Blackrazor. She has heard the legends of those mighty items of power, and she has no doubt that someone would steal an entire town to possess even ONE of those weapons... Shae stares at the crater, where once stood a town, and suddenly feels very small.

ooc: I had a feeling the three items were Whelm, Wave, and Blackrazor, even before it was confirmed. I ran White Plum Mountain about 30 years ago. Blackrazor played a big part in that campaign, I even built a character specifically to wield it :mrgreen: Oh yeah, this will be fun!
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby badams30 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:30 am

Grimes - FIghter

Grimes has a slightly annoyed look to his face and he says in his brash manner "Crap-tis? Who's Craptis? If he's got my stuff and this town, I say we go chop off his legs and get em' back." He smiles at the high-and-mighty party and says "some people may not have the stones to do it, but this guy does." Grimes points at the brownie and nods, then says "Hey, fella - where can I find this jerk at? I wanna go see him."

To accent his words, Grimes cracks his knuckles and glares at the paladin and hippie wizard...
badams30

Postby greyarea » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:06 pm

The Lammasau looks at Grimes and a benevolent smile crosses his face. His voice is like a church organ: both powerful and soothing but rumbling to the innermost parts of you. Grimes immediately feels a sense of calm wash over him as the Lammasu says, This is not a question of courage, little one. It is a question of duty. Ours is to the protection of the Realm. You, on the other hand. Yes....

The Brownie bounds over to Grimes, smiling the whole way, Do you really want to do it? Do you? His breath smells like rich chocolate.

Reteid also nods his head, Hmmm. Very interesting.

No chance, say the Paladin. They are not all followers of Law. They cannot all be trusted.

The Lammasu replies, They needn't all be Lawful to do the work of the Realm. The fact that they earned Sir Taris' trust should be enough for us.

The Brownie pipes in, And I like the tall one, Ser Gwalchmei, pointing at Grimes, and they have an interest in it.

The paladin, Ser Gwalchmei, regards the party. Well, I detect no evil in them. Would you consider this quest? he asks the party. You would be able to keep the items of power, of course. We just hope you can destroy Keraptis as well. I'm sure the King would reward you for that.

A butterfly flutters over and lands on the Brownie's ear and rests.

Actions?
greyarea

Postby Fearghus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:28 pm

Einar, Thief

The thief is amazed at witnessing the arcane crystal presented by the paladin, and also the appearance of the lammasu. With such agents on their side, how can they fail?

Having stayed quiet and out of sight forso long, Einar finds it safe to reveal himself and speak (though he stays in the back). "Count me in", he says plainly. He looks from the King's men to the hole and back again.
Fearghus

Postby tumblingdice » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:06 pm

"Sounds like quite a thrill," Castinus quips. "I'm in, though. What do you think, Shae?"

OC: This butterfly is either Gandalf's messenger, or Keraptis in polymorphed butterfly form.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby badams30 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes smiles after the brownie's mention of "the tall one." He nods at the little guy and says "Damn right I'd like a crack at this crazy wizard." He makes a sweeping gesture at the party and says "Despite mister law and order's comment, this bunch is as big a bunch of good guys as you'll find. One of em' went one on one with a black dragon, another one snuck up on the dragon, that nutty wizard over there changed into an owl... AN OWL! And attacked the thing. And I rode the thing like a $#@% pony! The other ones are competent enough... well, cept' for getting turned to stone and all... but I think we'd like to dice this guy up and take his stuff. For good, and all that." He smiles and winks at the brownie.
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Dieter - Mage

Ja, this might be very interesting. Would you happen to have a map to help us find our way? I'd like nothing better than to ransack an uber wizards library...
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:11 am

The paladin seems to disapprove, saying, I'd prefer a party of pure Law.

The Lammasu replies to him, This is what the gods have given us. It is fortunate that they are of good heart, even if they are not Lawful as yourself.

The paladin responds, I fear their hearts may be corrupted and their strength not enough for the task at hand.

The mage ignores them both, responding to Dieter, I believe I have something in my study but that is quite some ways away.

The Brownie says, Let me go get it! and dimension doors away, returning an instant later with a scroll in hand. He hands it to the mage who hands it in turn to you:

Larger version here: http://imgur.com/zuSKUgM

The mage says, This was given me by the cartographer Erol Otus more than thirty years ago. It was hoped that it would never be needed.

It is many many miles away form here: many week's ride. The town at its base is no more. I'm not sure what we can do to help you. A teleport or dimension door would only move one of you and not nearly far enough. And that is fraught with danger.

They could ride on the backs of the Giant Eagles.

No, I'm afraid they are sick of helping parties and errant wizards out of tight fixes. The King of The Aerie said that they are no man's Deus Ex Machina anymore. The White overstayed his welcome.

What are their options?

Actions?
greyarea

Postby kjc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27 am

Shae - Fighter/Mage

"Very well, if Castinus is in, then I will be at his side." Shae says. "And we can not leave these three items loose in the world for there are far too many individuals like Grimes about." she says softly to Castinus.

ooc: Erol Otus and giant eagles references...nice!
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby tumblingdice » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:33 am

Castinus grins at Shae's comment.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

PreviousNext

Return to Skull Mountain