Using Magic Items

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Using Magic Items

Postby Perceval » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Hello guys! I recently started to read the Core Rules of LL and I'm almost finished, though I got a bit stuck on something considering the magic items and their use.
When a spellcaster announces that he's going to cast a spell, he can't do anything else other than that, and if he gets struck by a weapon or spell, his spell goes bye-bye.
To the point, are these rules also valid for characters who want to use a magic item? For example, Mr. White announces that he wants to use a Wand of Magic Missiles, does Mr. White has to concentrate on using the wand and do nothing else (like moving)? Also, if he gets struck by a monster, does he has to cancel his "wand attack"?
The whole thing is about the term "concentration", which I have the feeling is kinda strangely-discussed in the LL and even in the old B/X books (which I usually consult when I have any questions raised by the LL rulebook).
"Call me whatever you like; I am who I must be."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Perceval

Re: Using Magic Items

Postby Wizardawn » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:23 am

Magic items do not have those issues as a spell caster must produce the magic while an item has it stored.
Wizardawn

Postby Perceval » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:39 am

Thanks for the info man, but I'd like to become the Devil's advocate for a bit.
In the Basic Rules, page 47, it's written that: "A character concentrating on using a magic item cannot do anything else".
My first thought was just like yours Wiz, but with a little closer look in the old books it seems like that this whole "magic item use" is a little controversial (at least in my head).
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Perceval

Postby Wizardawn » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Perceval wrote:Thanks for the info man, but I'd like to become the Devil's advocate for a bit.
In the Basic Rules, page 47, it's written that: "A character concentrating on using a magic item cannot do anything else".
My first thought was just like yours Wiz, but with a little closer look in the old books it seems like that this whole "magic item use" is a little controversial (at least in my head).

You only quoted a sentence from that...but I read it as a rule used to define that you will use a combat round to use some magic items. They slap "concentration" into it to simply explain it away so people don't say, "I swing my sword at the creature and use the wand to heal my friend". You have to either attack...or heal the friend that round.
Wizardawn

Postby Perceval » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:00 pm

So, you can use a scroll/magic device/potion even after you have moved?
In Basic Rules, page 48, there's another confusing quote that says: "Drinking a potion takes one round".
That ruling is like saying that you can't do anything else other than drinking a potion.
Excuse my repeating questions, but the rulebook kinda lost me there.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Perceval

Postby Wizardawn » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Perceval wrote:So, you can use a scroll/magic device/potion even after you have moved?
In Basic Rules, page 48, there's another confusing quote that says: "Drinking a potion takes one round".
That ruling is like saying that you can't do anything else other than drinking a potion.

I agree...you CAN ONLY use the scroll/magic device/potion during that combat round.
Wizardawn

Postby Perceval » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:53 pm

If I got it right, movement AND magic item use is not allowed? That's my main question. I get that using a magic item and attacking is not an option.
For example, the Cleric wants to move in a room where the Fighter is in combat with 3 Kobolds, can he move in the room and read a scroll (all this in the same combat round)?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Perceval

Postby Wizardawn » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Perceval wrote:If I got it right, movement AND magic item use is not allowed? That's my main question. I get that using a magic item and attacking is not an option.
For example, the Cleric wants to move in a room where the Fighter is in combat with 3 Kobolds, can he move in the room and read a scroll (all this in the same combat round)?

I have a strong feeling you are looking for the "one rule for every situation" here. In your example above...I would say "no", the cleric cannot do both. To put this in perspective, think about if you try to do this in real life. Run into a room and read some random paragraph from a book out loud and see if you can do it under 10 seconds (or 6 seconds for many versions of TSR D&D type games). I don't think you can without stumbling over words or even finishing the paragraph in time. You might have a magic wand that simply needs a single word spoken to fire a lightning bolt...then I would allow the "run into a room and electrocute someone" scenario.
Wizardawn

Postby Blood axe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:57 pm

Perceval wrote:If I got it right, movement AND magic item use is not allowed? That's my main question. I get that using a magic item and attacking is not an option.

Depends on the item.
Ring of waterwalking, boots of elvenkind, etc, etc.- while moving- Yes.
Crystal Ball while walking around- No.

In your above example- I would say that takes two rounds. One to enter the room & see the targets & situation, another round to unwrap & read the scroll. If he has it in a backpack or something, another round.

That's just my take on it. Others may differ. Your game, your decision.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Perceval » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks guys! I actually consulted this page http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm, the "spell completion/spell trigger/command word" paragraphs make sense even for the earlier D&D versions. Situations that don't trigger attacks of opportunity seem to be moments in which the use of magic items is much simpler, so the use of a wand (which requires one command word in order to activate it) is easy and could be combined with a movement action, just like Wiz suggested.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Perceval

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord