Monster Thread

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Monster Thread

Postby Charlatan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:55 pm

Made a monster? Don't think it deserves it's own thread? Stick it in here!

And, since I'm not much of a designer of critters myself, this is also the thread to spit out your ideas or even to request a beasty to be made by your fellow forumers.

I'll begin:

Sunscorched Scarab
No. Enc.: 1d8
Alignment: Lawful (Lawful Neutral)
Movement: 120' (40')
Armor Class: 4
Hit Dice: 2
Attacks: 1 (bite)
Damage: 2d4
Save: F1
Morale: 8
Hoard Class: None
XP: 45

At first glance these 10' long beetles appear to be statues crafted from gold with bright blue patterns upon it's carapace. The Sunscorched Scarab stands completely still until their prey comes within 10' of them, which causes the armoured beetle to spring into action. The scarab can spit a flammable liquid that instantly ignites, dealing 1d6 points of fire damage to every creature with 10' radius. The scarab is highly territorial and as such nobility have been leaving scarabs in their ancestors tombs and money vaults for centuries.

Lethal Thought
No. Enc.: 1d6 (1d8)
Alignment: Chaotic (Chaotic Evil)
Movement: 40' (10')
Armor Class: 3
Hit Dice: 4
Attacks: 1 (touch), charm
Damage: 1d4, drain life energy
Save: F4
Morale: 10
Hoard Class: XVIII
XP: 400

Lethal Thoughts are less than ghosts and more than ghosts, a lingering desire, an echo of a ideology, a shared childhood fear come alive. They exist solely to taint the minds of those around them, to bring them closer to their point of view.
Although there is no definite form of Lethal Thought, they most often appear as tall, slender men in black with porcelain white skin and shallow, barely existent features.
Lethal Thoughts have the innate ability to charm person in a manner similar to the spell, 4 times per day. However once a person is charmed, they gain the ability to charm person, 1 times per day. Victims are allowed a saving throw versus spells with a -2 penalty.

Ape, Stone-Born
No. Enc.: 1d6 (2d4)
Alignment: Chaotic [Chaotic Good]
Movement: 180' (60')
Attacks: 5 (3 fists, bite, staff)
Damage: 1d4/1d4/1d4/1d6/1d4
Save: F2
Morale: 8
Hoard Class: VI
XP: 260
Always carries Staff of Striking, which vanishes upon death

Stone-born apes are near mythical primates that live within humid forests that cover mountainsides far from civilisation. They are not known for their aggression, and will often dextrously escape a foe and mock them from a safe height. While they are more than capable of defending themselves in close combat, they may throw rocks for 1d6 points of damage per round. Stone-Born Apes are slaves to no one, but have been known to accompany monks on long journeys, if there is chance of fun and interesting sights along the way.

Some ideas now, more names than anything. I might make 'em myself. I'm actually new to the game and not that good at designing monsters! :lol:

Gargoyle, Bishop's Head - A gargoyle that was cheekily given a preacher's face, once brought alive it acts as a stern guardian of holy ground
Golem, Bellringer - A golem made by a rabbi, I um, cleric to look after his temple, made from clay and brick
Golem, Odds-and-Ends - A golem that builds itself out of spare parts, found most often in golem builder's workshops, small and fragile
Elemental, Iron - The spirit of iron, as mindless as the other elementals, but naturally inclined to attack fairies and bound in a deal to dwarven smiths
Elemental, Brine - A water elemental full of sea and dangerous fish
Elemental, Storm - The spirit of thunder and lightening, often used in battle by the gods
Elemental, Mercury - Liquid metal that burns to touch...that moves and wants to wants to eat you
Giant, Slumbersome - A sleeping giant who's nightmares effect his surroundings
Giant, Chalk - An image carved into a hill which shows the chalk beneath it, it can be awakened or summoned into the world by power magic users local to the area it is drawn
Host of Wraths - A group of evil ghosts treated as a swarm
Goblin, Merchant - High charisma (despite being ugly) salesmen of things you don't need, they might also trade something precious for the much coveted goblin fruit
Tsur Monster - A strange roach-like creature that creates walls of metal to defend itself
Abscap - A odd creature that look like a hat, it lives peacefully on it's owners head until it reaches adulthood, at which point it has absorbed skills from it's former master
Absflap - A sort of flying sting ray with skills akin to an adventurer
Phromp - An evil black jellyfish that hates all things
Shapeshifting Ogre - A massive ogre that lives in a tall tower, can only be defeated if it can be convinced to to take a weaker form
Everything I say is true!
Charlatan

Re: Monster Thread

Postby jcftao » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Hah! I love the Goblin merchant idea! Reminds me of Mr. Haney from Green Acres :lol:

The bishop headed gargoyle is funny too...
jcftao

Postby Charlatan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:23 pm

jcftao wrote:Hah! I love the Goblin merchant idea! Reminds me of Mr. Haney from Green Acres :lol:

The bishop headed gargoyle is funny too...

Thanks guv'ner! Those two will be up next then I think. Might have a go at them tomorrow. ;)
Charlatan

Postby jcftao » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:57 am

I'm going to tune in to see exactly what this "goblin fruit" is all about!
jcftao

Postby Charlatan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Christmas isn't a good time for updating! Anyway, heres the basic idea for the Bishop's Head Gargoyle. More to come...at some vague time in the future.

Bishop's Head Gargoyle

No. Enc.: 1d6 (2d4)
Alignment: Lawful
Movement: 90' (30')
Fly: 150' (50')
Attacks: 4 4 (2 claws, bite, horn)
Damage: 1d3/1d3/1d6/1d4
Save: F8
Morale: 12
Hoard Class: XX
XP: 570

Bishop's head gargoyles are all but demonic in appearance, save for their faces, which are carved in the likeness of ancient holy men and women. The beasts are brought to life by magic and it is this nature that stops them from being harmed by anything save enchanted weapons or magic. They have large bat-like wings, horns, fangs and brutish paws, and solid stone flesh carved from a local and likely sacred rock. While they are not greatly intelligent, they hold ancient teaching in their stone heads and use their surroundings to their advantage. They are nearly aways guardians of a holy building.

Bishop's Head Gargoyles may use the spell Holy Word once per day and the spell Lose the Path (reverse Find the Path) two times per day.
Charlatan

Postby Charlatan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:27 pm

Just an unfinished idea, don't think I'll come back to it as it requires a good DM and a light campaign, its not so much a monster as a scene. :?

Goblin Merchant

Not simply a career but a birthright, goblin merchants stem from a long line of eldirich pedlars of wares and are perhaps the last group of goblins to be given any amount of respect. They stand anywhere between 3' and 6' tall, with the tallest having the appearance of having been stretched on a rack. Their eyes are often mismatched in coloration, with iris ranging from orange to violet. They glow eerily in the dark, to the point that the goblins use their own eyes to light up their bazaars. In large groups their glow can be spotted from two or so miles away. A goblin merchant's skin colour is a usually motley of green and yellow, as if splashed with paints, it is difficult to tell which is related to which, as siblings can look vastly different.

These goblins wear clothing of patchy leathers and thick wool that is thrown away by other races as they were deemed unworkable or unappealing. They may also wear decorative earrings or necklaces made from discarded utensils or bird bones.

No one knows where they spend their days, but on odd nights of the year they open shop around secluded villages or even within forest glades. But always close enough for some hapless yokel to wander by and become intrenched by their wail for "'alf a penny for laugh o' a baby." or other such nonsensical items.

Wherever they spend their time is dark and as such they suffer a -1 penalty to all attack tolls when in full sunlight. They have infravision of 70'. Goblin merchants act friendly to anyone that could be a potential customer but prices may be steeper for dwarves and gnomes. They may cast a spell much like Charm Person once per night (not during daylight hours), however it only last the night for creatures with an INT score of 3-8, four hours for creatures with an INT score of 9-12 or one hour for creatures with an INT score of 13-18. This spell can not be negated by the spell dispel magic. Goblin merchants may also cast a spell much like Clone, once per night upon themselves or a fellow goblin merchant, with a duration of one night. This is mainly used for humorous performances or sales related tasks.

All food baked, cooked or otherwise by merchant goblins is poisonous in varying degrees. However the fabled goblin fruit that they hate to part with are said to be highly magical and worth the risk.

No. Enc.: 2d4 (6d10)
Alignment: Neutral
Movement: 60' (20')
Armor Class: 7
Hit Dice: 1 -1
Attacks: 1 (weapon)
Damage: 1d6 or weapon
Save: 0 level human
Morale: 4
Hoard Class: III (XX)
XP: 15

Now this next section should be in a table but I can't seem to make one on this forum...

Goblin Merchant Item Table

Item
Price
Description

Filter of Love
A broken arrow
The imbiber of this potion will never know love, so the merchants say

Bottle Axe
An alchemist's shoe
A standard axe that has a hollow shaft, it can be used as a vial

Creamed Sleep
Wool from an old yew
A pot of cream (six uses) that gives good dreams to the user (by goblin standards)

Morning Wood
1 match, 1 pipe, tobacco
This wand will say "good morning" in the correct language to any creature it is pointed at

A Baby's First Laugh
A kettle full of hot water
A brief noise rings out (or is this merchant a ventriloquist?)

Treasure Map
A lit torch
A rough series of drawings of coins, diamonds and other treasures

Ward against Wards
A boiled sweet
A scroll, once read children will not talk to the reader for a full month

Personal Dwarf Gladiator
A barrel of sand
A mule, will only respond to "Personal Dwarf Gladiator"

Leg ends of the Dwarfs
A nod and a wink
A pin-up magazine of dwarves showing off their hairy legs

Comedy Skull
A priest's under garments
A talking skull that feels terribly sorry for himself, it is somehow able to cry

Rat Cap
Item made by a blind man
A large, maroon flamboyant hat with an flamingo feather in it, once worn the wearer becomes a wererat

Half-Brick-inna-Sock
100 gold coins
A bit of red brick in a long striped sock

The Lost History of the Kobold
A unused dagger
A thin booklet with the pages missing, it has been drawn on by a child or an idiot

An Explanation of Arcana
Three used wands
A huge tome covered in sigils (scribbles), every page has the words "Cos its magical magic" written on it

Doom Mount
A large gem or diamond
An ordinary camel with horns glued on, painted black, the paint and glue will melt off in rain

Eye of Sour Ron
Hair from a halfling's foot
A medallion that gives the wearer a deep, sinister voice but otherwise has no power

Babaga's Broom
Two identical horses, stolen
As Broom of Flying, this broom constantly sweeps and be held behind it's owner to clear footprints

Bag of Gold
A willing friend's finger
After 2+1d4 turns, all items in this bag become solid gold, but only for 12+1d4 turns

Chair of Regeneration
Bone of a dead peasant
As a ring of regeneration, but only activates once sat on, smells of dog

Ring of Mishes
An entire oak tree
As a ring of wishes, but the wishes are granted to someone else in the world (apparently)

Other Worldly Ring
Two cherished possessions
As a ring of x-ray vision, but the ring itself must be looked through for results, does not take up a ring slot

The merchants are honest about their wares, in fact more often than not they think what they have for sale are bargains, items no one can live without. They become quite distressed if a potential customer points out flaws in their merchandise.

While they loath to part with them, the thing any wise adventurer is after from these rogues is a goblin fruit. A rare and magical thing grown in a distant world. So rare in fact that few merchant bands travel with more than two, and some only possess one. The price of a goblin fruit is always a quest, though after completion the one owed the fruit would have to find where they have currently set up their bazaar as they won't wait around for anyone. If someone was to come across a goblin fruit and attempt to sell it to a goblin merchant they could quite easily gain whatever they asked for in return for it.

Goblin Fruit
Description

Wyrmroot
Consumer becomes a Red Dragon indefinitely, but will not remember a time before their transformation

Jollyrancid
Consumer can not be harmed by anything with a ooze, slime, fungus or mold description

Forbiddabite
Raises consumers WIS, INT and CHA by 4, but lowers STR, CON and DEX by -2

Ahem yes! More traditional, well thought out monsters later.
Last edited by Charlatan on Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlatan

Postby jcftao » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Priceless! :lol:

I love all the magic items.
jcftao

Postby knightvision » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:11 am

jcftao wrote:Priceless! :lol:

I love all the magic items.

Is this where you get your inspiration from? :lol:
Website/blog: Knightvisiongames.com
KVG produces Labyrinth Lord adventure modules. Check out the blog and Twitter feed to stay connected.
Twitter: @kvgames
knightvision

Return to Open Workshop